Streetcar #1335 Interior|
Click image to see full-size version.
Streetcar #1335 Interior.|
I will describe this image starting from the top-left and work around clock-wise from there. ...and please excuse my ignorance of some of the nomenclature of the car parts.
- At the very top there is a storage area that contains 2 (metal) boxes that have straps around them. There is also that large wheel device that seems to have a cable or line connected to it. I don't know what it does.
- There are all the leather straps with metal handles that you would "hang" from while standing (giving up your seat to the ladies). There are also the bell cords to signal the driver that you want to get off at the next stop.
- There is the car number (1335) in line with the curved advertising along both sides of the car.
- Now for the ads:
- The first panel on the right is unreadable
- The next panel is about Lucky Strike Cigarettes
- The next panel is about "Arrow Collars". These were detachable collars made by Cluett Peabody & Company of Troy, NY.
...side note: My Grandfather, Barnett Nathanson, owned a machine shop in which he fabricated the machinery to make the early celluloid collars popular in the early 1900's. Celluloid was one of the first synthetic plastics (1869), and was made from cellulose nitrate and camphor. In the early part of the twentieth century, it was widely used for movie and photographic film, combs, hairbrush handles, harness decorations, washable collars, and toys, but because of its flammability had since been replaced by less flammable plastics.
- The only readable ad on the left side of this image is for "Life Savers", and it seems to have an urn or possibly a coffeepot in it.
- The control center has the familiar coin box, and the other controls to run the streetcar. There is a gauge that I can almost read that has values from 0 - 160, and I'm guessing that is air pressure for the brakes and doors, etc. I think it reads, "ChRistensen" on the face of the gauge, with the capital letters that way.
These are webpage verification websites.
Original date of display online:
This page last updated on:
January 31, 2017 4:05 PM